Assignments for the Week:
- Language: This week students have Home Reading due Friday and a (last) spelling test on Friday. Students will make preparations to present their First Nation story during the week of October 15.
- Math: We are working with patterns in grade-level problem-solving. Students will also have individual math work to do.
- Culture: Students just began brainstorming creative ways they may teach their group’s First Nations topic (fishing, ceremonies and beliefs, trade and defence, etc.). This week they will prepare for presentations that will begin during the week of October 15. We will also spend some time preparing for Student Vote (looking at issues, parties and candidates), our school-wide parallel election, on October 17.
- Monday, October 7 and Wednesday, October 9: Goal-setting Conferences: The plan is for students to share goals they have prepared and for parents and myself to listen. Please be reminded that conferences are 15 minutes in length and that school ends at 2pm both days.
- Monday, October 14: Thanksgiving holiday. No school for staff or students.
- Tuesday, October 22: Field trip to the Museum of Vancouver. I will pass out field trip forms at conferences next week.
Field trip to the Museum of Anthropology: Last Wednesday, our class participated in the “Archaeology of the Fraser River” workshop at MOA. Students practiced their critical thinking (observing, inferring, analyzing) by looking closely at the belongings of local First Nations.
Students also learned to make bracelets with the same technique with which First Nations groups made baskets and rope.
A highlight of the day was, undoubtedly, playing outside.
Baseball: The weather cooperated enough this week for us to get in some batting practice.
Story Time with Buddies: We met our buddies in Division 21 (Ms. Hart & Ms. Belliveau’s class) last week. Division 17 students shared orally, and then in text, a First Nations story.
Art: We just started working with chalk pastels last week. We will continue practicing our techniques for an art piece.